My review of Mamma Mia! The Movie
Okay, I know it's not terribly timely, but I was moved enough to share, and I know there are people who haven't yet seen it. So here you go:
This version has spoilers. To read the one without spoilers (or just for fun!) go to my posting on the Internet Movie Database: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0795421/usercomments-385.
1. Those ABBA people are great songwriters.
2. Mamma Mia's storyline is compelling, good-feeling and tugs on the right heart-strings…enough to overcome the difficulty of believing that Meryl Streep's character is musical, and the unfortunate general lack of chemistry between cast members. Or maybe it's because I saw it alone on DVD instead of in a theater full of people. It's possible.
3. If you love someone enough, the way I love Pierce Brosnan, it doesn't matter if their singing makes you cringe…it'll pass. And …potential spoiler…Pierce Brosnan looks pretty damn good in a disco jumpsuit it turns out. (Oh how I love that man….)
4. Hope and love are ageless–I figure the "older crowd" in this film should be around 40, (since Sophie is 20 and Donna wasn't allowed to return home when she got pregnant–usually something a teen would say). But Meryl is 59 and Pierce is 55, and darn it, people of all ages deserve another chance at love!
5. If you love someone enough, (SPOILER) when they play a character who isn't "batting for your team", you don't believe it…even when they act/dance it convincingly. (I love me some Colin Firth too).
6. If you love a song enough, you'll keep watching even if it's not being performed by your favorite performers…and in this case–the movie's end credits–it's TOTALLY worth it.
The moral of the review: A good storyline and well-written, much-beloved songs can overcome almost anything!